So far in the month of March, the DEP has already issued four compliance alerts. If you don't want to be bitten, you'd better check them out:
Adoption of Enforcement Enhancement Bill strengthens provisions of environmental statutes, increases penalty authority
DEP Takes Steps to Bring Tire, Compost, & Wood Chip Pile Heights into Conformance with DCA Regulations
DEP Develops Guidelines for Proper Disposal of Household Medication
And if you're tempted to think these folks are all growl and no bite, take a look at the lengthy chart of enforcement actions commenced or completed in just the past 14 days.
Sure, it contains dozens of notices of violations--and many may prove to be minor. But, if you work your way down the entire chart, you'll see some significant fines and settlements, including:
- A $20,000 administrative penalty against Forman Glen, Mullica Twp.
- A $10,000 settlement agreement with Newark International Airport
- A $11,250 civil administrative penalty against DuPont Chambers Works, Pennsville
- A $17,500 settlement agreement with Clean Venture, Inc. in Elizabeth
- A $45,000 administrative penalty against Peters Scrap Yard in Trenton
- A $50,000 administrative penalty against JNC Materials in Carteret
- A $250,000 administrative consent order against Chart Corp, Inc in Paterson