Horizontal drilling rig – Photo credit Philip Rogers (Flickr)
The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) today announced the members of the
Oil and Gas Technical Advisory Board (TAB). TAB’s mission is to increase transparency
and communication about regulating the unconventional oil and gas drilling industry.
TAB is authorized under the 2012 Oil and Gas Act to advise DEP in the formulation, drafting, and presentation stages of all regulations relating to unconventional oil and gas extraction. TAB will be given the opportunity to review and comment on all regulations of a technical nature prior to submission to the Environmental Quality Board.
Five members chosen by the governor
Five TAB members were appointed by Governor Tom Wolf on March 9. Three members are either petroleum engineers, petroleum geologists or drillers with at least three years of experience in Pennsylvania. One member is a coal mining engineer with three years of experience in Pennsylvania. The last voting member is a geologist, petroleum engineer or driller with three years of experience in Pennsylvania, chosen from three candidates supplied by the Citizens Advisory Council to the governor.The Advisory Board members include:
• David A. Yoxtheimer, P.G., Hydrogeologist, Marcellus Center for Outreach and Research at The Pennsylvania State University
• Robert C. Hendricks, P.G., Water Team Lead/Groundwater Protection Lead Appalachia, Shell Exploration and Production Company
• Casey V. Saunders, P.E., Pennsylvania Coal Operations Senior Project Engineer, CONSOL Energy
• Bryan J. McConnell, P.G., Environmental Program Manager, Tenaska, Inc.
The non-voting members of the Advisory Board are selected by the Secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection. They are:
• John Walliser, Esq., Vice President of Legal & Government Affairs, Pennsylvania Environmental Council
• W. Michael Griffin, Ph.D., Executive Director of the Center for Energy and Decision Making, Carnegie Mellon University
• Emily Krafjack, President, Connection for Oil, Gas, & Environment in the Northern Tier, Inc.
• Barbara G. Kutchko, Ph.D., P.E., Physical Scientist, National Energy Technology Laboratory at the US Department of Energy
Was this post of value to you?
Click here for free updates
Recent Blog Posts:
PADEP outlines overhauled rules for natural gas drillers
Pa bill allowing wind energy on preserved farms moving
Budget hearings scheduled by the NJ Legislature
Snow shoveled? Catch up on energy and environment news
EPA McCarthy's cuddly pitch for safe-cleaning products